21 November 2007

Alex by Charles Peattie & Russell Taylor

Alex - Robert Bathurst

Directed by Phelim McDermott

Seen at the Arts Theatre Circle A2

No actors I could see in the audience but during one of my shelters from the rain, I think I saw Tom Hardy in a cafe




I had the misfortune of sitting (wedging) right next to the epitome of old Telegraph readership. This great lummox had clearly never been inside a theatre before, waded in with his tumbler of red wine.........and proceeded to stumble in and out to the bathroom with no thought for Mr Bathurst or his fellow audience members. He was clearly oblivious of the etiquette around waiting for scene changes. He was so drunk that he kept lurching forward as he dozed. We were in the front row of the balcony and the temptation to tip him over the bar was enormous.

I must say that Robert was wonderful but I just found the material a bit too tired and dated.

I was soaked to the skin in the 7 or 8 minutes it took me to get there and ringing wet all over after the 25 minutes it took me to get home on my bike.